We’ve been nominated for the 2017 Liebster Award!
Since I started this blogging journey over the summer, I have been hesitant to make it public to friends and family. Oh, the criticism. The nomination for the Liebster Award gave me the courage to go public, but I didn’t really know what it was or how one was nominated until I was nominated by Marie at My So Called Crunchy Life this week. THANK YOU MARIE! When I saw that I had been tagged on Twitter, I was excited, but thought, “Really?” since my blog is new and I’ve yet to gain a large following. But that’s what the Liebster Award is all about — helping to put new bloggers like me on the blogging map!
What is the Liebster Award?
This award is meant to recognize new bloggers by helping them gain a larger audience and “meet” other members of the blogging community. It’s awarded to bloggers with less than 200 readers.
Nominated? Here’s what to do next:
- Thank your fellow blogger that nominated you and post a link to their blog
- Post the award on your blog either in a post or on the sidebar (or both!)
- Write a 150-300 word about your favorite blog and post a link to that blog
- List 10 random facts about yourself
- Nominate 5-11 blogs you feel deserve the award that have less than 200 followers
- List these rules in your post (more info and full details about the award can be found here)
- Inform your nominees and provide them a link to your post
- Answer the questions posted at the bottom of this post
Who Nominated Me?
A big THANK YOU and shout out goes to Marie at My So Called Crunchy Life! Marie describes herself as “a new mom. . .helping my family live a more natural lifestyle.” We’ve been trying to do this as well. Reading through her blogs called, “5 Fun Fall Activities” and “5 Halloween Books Your Kids Will LOVE” makes me think our “meeting” is serendipitous! We have so many interests in common. As a busy teacher (English by day/ tap by night), mom of two very busy children, and a writer who dreams most days of what I SHOULD be writing, this helped me get motivated to be more dedicated to my blog. She has some great recipes too, but I can’t wait to try the Senegalese recipe of her favorite dish called Yassa Toubab, find it here.
My Favorite Blog
I always tell my students that if they want to write better, they need to study the masters. A few months back after starting this blog, I found Nature Mom’s Blog and loved the content and format of her blog. I found the hardest part of getting started was the back-end, or tech part of blogging. I love the look and functionality of her blog. Her blog posts are refreshing and filled with positivity. We all need more of that. I can get lost in her posts. There are recipes, inspiring topics on self-wellness, and tips on how to get back to nature. I have yet to convince my family of getting back into nature as much as I used to when I was younger, but this post has some great tips. If you love nature, living naturally, and are wanting ideas on how to give back to it, check out Nature Mom’s Blog.
10 Facts About Me!
- I have lived throughout NY, CT, and SC.
- I have danced for 41 years, and have loved being a part of the dance community as a performer, choreographer, and teacher.
- I have had a few different careers, and never have just worked one job. I like to reinvent myself every decade. I’ve worked in IT in marketing, I owned a dance studio for ten years, and now I teach middle school English. Through all of my versions of careers, I’ve consistently taught dance for 28 years. I think that where I am now, I am making the biggest impact.
- I love to travel and have been to Italy, Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, Tahiti, and Canada. I still have a few states to visit, mainly in the midwest and south and have been slowly knocking them off my list.
- I met my husband on a night where we “ran into each other” three times and three different locations. It wasn’t planned by either of us, but perhaps by someone else because we are perfect for each other.
- I love baseball and miss going to Mets games in NY.
- Writing is another thing I have done my whole life outside of teaching and dancing. I spent two years at Sarah Lawrence College studying writing and dance. They are years I cherish.
- Two events that changed me forever were 9/11 and becoming a mom.
- My childhood dream was to be a Radio City Rockette.
- Favorite writing memories include hearing Sharon Olds and Lou Reed read at NYU, studying with Kim Bridgford, Billy Collins, Tom Lux, and Marie Howe, and interning at Valhalla Correctional Facility and at the Poetry Society of America.
Here are Marie’s questions:
1. What’s your favorite season?
My favorite season is Autumn because I love pumpkin everything. I also love the colors of Autumn. In literature, it is a metaphor for a time of change in one’s life, and I love change because it is exciting and filled with adventure!
2. What are your hopes and dreams for your blog?
I hope we can help others save money, because we know every penny counts. I hope that my blogs bring a few people entertainment and laughter as well as inspiration.
3. How has blogging impacted/changed your life?
It hasn’t really yet, but I am hopeful that it allows me have an outlet for this itch I have to write as well as my love for web design and creating images. I am so thankful of how supportive friends and family have been, I was so nervous at first.
4. Where was your most favorite vacation or getaway?
Florence and Venice, Italy. I loved every moment filled with good food, family, and just seeing history up close. I love great people, museums and good food, and Italy delivered. Family vacations on cruises are a favorite now as I see my kids making memories and it allows my husband and I the only one-on-one time we get since we live in SC without any family.
5. What is one of your guilty pleasures?
Salted Caramel Chocolates
6. What’s something you’ve read on another blog that you really want to try out for yourself?
I would like to do more videos on my blog.
7. What’s your favorite food?
There are so many in this category and it is always changing. Most of them fall under the Italian catagory, but I have been learning how to cook our favorite Chinese food dishes as well. If I had to pick a favorite, it is Linguine and Clams with a white wine sauce. I’ll have to post my recipe soon.
8. What’s your favorite song?
“At Last” by Etta James (and Ella Fitzgerald). It is our wedding song, so there is a sentimental reason for liking it, but I just love her beautiful voice. I also got married in my thirties and there was a time where I thought I wouldn’t find that person that allowed me to be me 100% and also love me for it. At last, I found Mike. . . and “life is like a song.”
9. What’s your favorite social media platform?
I like Facebook because it allows me to keep in touch with my friends and family located all over the world. Friends in Europe and California and family in New York, Connecticut, and Florida don’t seem far away. I get to see old students grow up and photos of their kids, see some of the three year old students I once taught dance professionally, and get poems delivered in my inbox from former students.
10. What’s something that the blogging world as taught you?
How supportive of a community it really is! I thought it would be competitive, but really– many people have stopped to help, promote, and guide me. I am so appreciative for those that have helped me along the way.
Who Am I Nominating?
Congratulations to the following bloggers:
- Ruth Ducharme at http://ruthducharme.com/
- Learning with Maddy at https://learningwithmaddy.com/
- Taylor White at https://mrsmotivatedmommy.wordpress.com/
- Jenn White at https://modesthouseextraordinaryhome.com/
- Cassidy at https://www.adventurefilledheart.com/
If you accept this nomination, Here are my questions:
- What’s your favorite season?
- What is your writing background?
- What made you start a blog?
- What is something you’ve read on another blog that you really want to try out for yourself?
- If you could pick your favorite food, what would it be?
- What’s your favorite movie?
- What was the first video you posted on your blog?
- Name something that the blogging world has taught you?
There it is, I’m so grateful to have been nominated. Thanks again Marie!